“Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Target® C9 through their partnership with POPSUGAR Select. While I was compensated to write a post for Target® C9 all opinions are my own.”
With Christmas just a few weeks away, it would be easy to get so busy preparing for events that we let the day slip by and not fit in a workout. Days can turn into weeks, Holiday after Holiday is upon us, and before you know it, we haven’t worked out in weeks. I know, because I’ve been there, done that. I feel like my most successful years have been when I have planned ahead and prepared myself for the crazy amount of “to do’s” I will inevitably have on my list. Here are a few things I do to make sure I stay active during the Holiday Season.
1. Plan Ahead- As I mentioned above, it is essential to plan your days. Somewhere in your day, you need to have time for a workout. Lay out your week on Sunday night, and be sure to write everything down. Plan your meals, shopping list, workouts, and activities for the week ahead. When we organize it on paper, it is much more likely to happen.
2. Establish Goals- Schedule a race for mid January to keep you running. If you have a firm vision of what you want to achieve, it makes it much harder for you to skip your workouts. Most training plans for shorter distances are around 8-10 weeks — that is the perfect amount of time to keep you accountable through the Holidays.
3. No Excuses- Go to bed, and wake up with the mindset that you will not make any excuses that could make you stray from workout. It’s easy to hit the snooze button, or say, “I’ll go later,” but if you have it on your schedule, you won’t skip. Think of it as an important meeting that cannot be missed. Once you’re out there running or working out, you will not look back, and you’ll never regret it.
4. Don’t over think it- Don’t ponder too much about pace or distance, and remind yourself that this is time to yourself. Throw away your idea of perfection and just move your body. Something is better than nothing.
5. Balance- This time of year can bring up a lot of emotion for many people– it’s a good idea to keep things in check. When you balance your life between work and activities that nourish your soul, your mood will be much improved, and that is a powerful necessity during this time. A good mind cleansing run will allow you to better face that emotional baggage, that families can bring to the surface. No one but you will know that the sweat is really tears.
For me personally, I’m not sure how I would get through this chaotic time of the year without running, but it can also be so busy that it gets left out of the picture. I always remind myself how important exercise is, not only for my body, but for my mind, mood, and soul. There is no better feeling than kicking off a holiday party with a huge dose of endorphins, and perfectly rosy red cheeks that you get after a winter run– and to keep you warm and looking great during your winter workouts, check out Target®’s affordable, functional, and adorable line of C9 activewear right HERE.
How about you– what tips do you have for staying active during the holidays?