The other day Miss Zippy posted about some of her most recent favorite #fitgear. Her list was full of cool stuff, take a look at her items right here. She inspired me to share some things I’m really into at the moment. Here are six summer running #fitgear items and accessories that I am using this summer.
1. Simple Hydration bottle– I have tried many different hydration systems, but none that I liked as much as this one. Why? Many reasons. First, I feel as though this one has the least amount of bounce. When I first tried running with it, it felt a bit awkward, I had to give it a chance (I am overly picky and sensitive), but the more I run with this system the more I love it. I tuck it through my race-belt and then under my waistband. I fill mine with ice and slide it right on my achy hip.. so soothing and keeps me cool. It is also very comfortable to hold in your hand as well. On very hot days and longer runs I use two of them…the bottles are only 13 oz. so if I am using Nuun, I split a tablet in half. This is the only hydration bottle I have used consistently on the road. During these hot summer month’s I use this on every run, I really dig this bottle. You can check them out HERE
2. Twistbands– Guess what? I’m picky and sensitive, oh yes, you already are fully aware of this (so is my husband) but the good news is, I’m picky and sensitive so when I tell you that this headband is as soft as a T-shirt and feels invisible on your head, I mean it. I also suffer from chronic Migraine disease so when I say they don’t give you a headache, I also am speaking the truth. They leave no dent in the hair and stayed in place for a long and sweaty 10 mile run. Plus, they come in 27 different colors and at only $4.00 each they are a steal and will make any running outfit pop. Put your hair up in a bun for super sweaty days and throw on one of these on and you are looking super fast. You can check them out HERE.
3. Ink n Burn -Cherry Blossom Sport Skirt. The other day my pal Alison surprised me with this super hot running skirt. I put it on and wore it around town for a day before I ran in it, that’s how much I love it. It has two small pockets in the front of the skirt to stash keys and a gel. The inside of the skirt has compression shorts that are made of super soft stretchy, moisture-wicking fabric and designed to stay put, and look at the design of the shorts! It has a beautiful complimentary pattern. You can fold over the top of the skirt (think yoga pant roll over) and it has the same pattern as the boy short underneath the skirt only blue. You can check them out HERE.
4.Under Armour – Ribbed “Heat Gear” tank. Why I love this tank… It is ribbed with lightweight moisture wicking fabric, has 30+ UPF sun protection, and has Under Armour’s “Fit Fitted” which means it is not as tight as compression gear but still extremely flattering. It is the only tank in my closest with a performance type fabric that is the perfect length (It’s not too short!) and hits me right at the hip bone. They are great to layer and I love the retro “wife beater” look. If you’re wondering how they hold up on a hot long run, I ran in this tank at The North Face Endurance Challenge 50K. I was never uncomfortable, no chafing, and I felt good in it so I could concentrate on my run, not pulling my shirt down. The best part is they are only $22.99. You can check them out HERE.
5. NUUN Hydration tablets. If you are going to be running in the heat, you must stay hydrated. And, if you sweat like I do, you’re going to need plenty of fluids and electrolytes. I have tried many and what works for me is Nuun hydration tablets. They come in a tube with 12 tablets, each tablet makes a 16 oz. bottle. What I like about them is they taste great, not too sweet (no sugar added), and they don’t upset my stomach. The company claims – and I agree – that Nuun will alleviate cramps, help muscles function, and burn energy efficiently. It comes in 11 flavors: Banana, Orange, Lemon Lime, Strawberry Lemonade, Fruit Punch, Kona Cola, Lemon Tea, Tri-Berry, Grape, Tropical, and Citrus Fruit. The other day I made a Kona Cola Float, it tasted so good after a long hot run…see the recipe HERE.
6. Sunglasses – I know everyone is different, but I simply must wear sunglasses in the bright sun. I get a headache if I squint and it is distracting to me to have the bright light blaring down on me. I was lusting after a really expensive pair this spring, but we just can not afford such luxuries right now. So I found this pair that reminded me of the glasses I had my eye on. These were purchased at TJ Maxx for $12.99. They’re completely comfortable, don’t bounce, and have excellent coverage. They happen to be Betsey Johnson. I completely scored! I can’t tell you how many people ask me where I got them. OK, so I look like a diva when I run (don’t care, they do the job). Head over to TJ Maxx and peruse the sunglasses, at that price you can buy 2 or 3 pairs.
None of these companies contacted me or paid me. These opinions are my own.
What #FitGear are you really into right now?
What items can you not run without durring the summer?